About Me

Hi i'm Ashlee, im from South Wales and Currently Studying Drama and Theatre Studies along with Education at Bath Spa University! Here are some of my reviews, Enjoy!
Facebook: Ashlee Regan Twitter: AshleeZeey

Thursday 21 April 2011

Merry Wives of Windsor

Theartre review Merry wives of Windsor Royal Theatre Bath. A classic
take on a wonderful Shakespearian play. Although I must admit at first
I was sceptical, I found the play thoroughly in amusing and it kept my
attention throughout. The comedy throughout the piece is what I felt
really separated it from other typical boring renditions of Shakespeare
I have previously seen. The set was fabulously designed. A simple yet
intricate set provided distinctive locations, without the fuss or
distraction of trucking on props or typical ‘black out’ scene changes.
The traditional use of wood and the medieval decor brought a
naturalistic feel to the play, you really could imagine you were inside
their houses! The set I feel wonderfully worked in favour for engaging
the audience. The music for the play was provided by a live cortet on
stage, who were situated on the top of the set. Throughout the play
they accompanied the action perfectly with their music. The characters
also held my attention throughout! The humour, which I must admit was
not something I was at all expecting made the play simply brilliant,
this view was also shared by audience! Throughout the play chuckles of
audience members echoed throughout. The musical numbers was something I
was certainly not expecting but added great flavour to the show and
really made you sustain interest. The way in which they spoke the
language made it accessible for people of all ages and walks of life,
the wonderfully executed body language of each characters helped easily
identify each characters status and social standing, the elaborate
costumes also wonderfully portrayed this. This in my opinion has to be
one of the greatest staging of a Shakespearian piece I have ever seen ,
the play was funny and engaging. This is something I would defiantly
recommend! Its not one to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment